Viva la France
This year has been an interesting one so far, for sure.
First of all, how is it already August!?!? Time flies!!! So many things have
happened. First of all, I have been working at an amazing surgical center in
Provo for the past 8 months. The idea was to get enough hours experience to
apply for PA school, which I did and I have. So the applications are in and now
I am just waiting. PA school, if by some huge miracle and blessing I get in,
would potentially begin fall of 2014. That being said, it was an interesting
timeline that was before me. I have all this time, what should I do with it?
Heck, why not become a professional volleyball player in France! So that’s what
I did. I got an agent, he got me a team, I quit my job, moved my things home,
said goodbye to my friends, and potential lovers, and family and I’m on my way
to France!
Pause, sil vous plait (see what I did there?), as I know I
had you excited and waiting with baited breath about the newest upcoming
adventure. But I wanted to give a little recognition to the coworkers and
friends that I made at CUSC. First of all it was a blessing that I got the
job—they run a tight, small ship there and it’s kind of an exclusive place to
work. People wished they worked there because it is only 5 days a week, lunch
is provided every day, and if you know where to look you can always find
chocolate. You can guess what I am implying here. Haha. Let’s just say that
I’ve eaten my fair share of EL Fudge cookies along with peanut M&M’s to
last me a long while. When I started working there I would have never imagined
how incredible the people were. They welcomed me in, and most of them loved to
hear about my daily drama, including dates, men, and volleyball. Most of the
talk revolved around men. When you work with women nurses they become obsessed
with finding you the perfect mate. And when there is somebody cute waking up
from surgery they would always make sure that I got a good look at him. (I’m
not saying this to be creepy, but everyone out there has no idea what is going
on around you when you are under anesthesia! It’s probably a good thing. And
for the record, most people look decently peaceful and even cute when they are
sleeping, but for some people, when they wake up, it’s like WOAH, who got
slapped with the ugly stick??) And then once they are awake and lucid I was
always responsible for wheeling them to their car. By this time, if he were an
attractive guy and more forward they would ask for my number. One time in
particular this turned into an interesting day of 2 dozen roses being sent to
work before a first date from an Alaskan engineer who was more than willing to
make a bold statement and take me to Flemings in Salt Lake City which is most
definitely a pretty penny. Needless to say he spent a lot of money on me in two
dates. Did I stop him? No. Did I say he didn’t have to? Yes. But he insisted.
Therefore I am justified.
Anyway, back to my coworkers. They made my job worthwhile. I
didn’t have the glamorous duties at work and maybe that was a good thing and I
learned a lot because of it. Very humbling, actually. But nonetheless,
worthwhile. On my last day, everyone brought loads of treats and gifts. Thank
you. You guys are amazing.
For five years I had been living in Provo. And it was coming
down to the fact that I had to move home. I remember the day that I came to
Provo and checked into the dorms. I remember what I was wearing, who was with
me, and exactly what we did. Moving after you have lived anywhere for a long
time is incredibly cumbersome. I had accumulated too much stuff. Thankfully I
was able to get rid of some, store some, and get the rest home with some
friend’s and my sister’s help. The last night I spent in Provo, a group of my
friends and I went to Sakura, a sushi restaurant in Provo to party as mostly a
see-you-later kind of ordeal. I wasn’t expecting such a great turnout of people
and better yet, I wasn’t expecting the epic night of dancing on Center Street.
And when I say epic, I mean I will remember that night for forever. It was so
much fun! I was so happy with the dancing and the fact that fate brought an
unexpected appearance from an old friend. But that’s another story :)
Once I had gotten my things home, next up on the docket was
river rafting on the Snake River for 3 days with the LeCheminant family and
friends of theirs from their ward. Needless to say, rafting the rapids was so
fun and a great adventure. At first I rode in the large oared boats, which are
steered by only one person, the oarsman. I was going crazy in that thing. I
wanted to be steering the boat. Ok, fine, I’ll admit it, my red personality was
coming out really strong, but after that, I had to be in a paddle boat or a
2-man kayak because I couldn’t help myself when I couldn’t steer!
#suckstoberedsometimes #butreallyihadmorefunafter
My brother, Stuart, the “baby” of the family got his mission
call to Detroit, Michigan. We are all so excited for him to serve and learn and
grow and make us proud! I can’t believe he’s old enough to live on his own (the
thought kinda scares me actually—can’t imagine what my Mother is thinking right
now), but I know that he can handle it and make the best of the situations he
is given to bring people to Christ. I’m proud of you, Stu. You can do it! After
this month, my parents are going to be empty nesters. I hope they don’t enjoy
the freedom too much!
Loads of family came in to Rigby for Stuart’s farewell. If
there’s one thing that I love about my family, is that they are supportive of
everyone in the extended family. You can definitely feel the love. It was a
great turnout.
You thinking packing and moving sucks? Well how bout you
pack and move and then organize everything how you want it, and then get ready
to downsize even more and pack again. Well that’s what I did! I had to get
ready for France! 2 giant suitcases that weighed 50 and 51 pounds,
respectively, and one carry on later and I was all set. I left this afternoon
from Idaho Falls, had a short hour layover in Salt Lake City, and I’m now en
route to Paris! Flying into a time zone 8 hours ahead will be interesting,
especially for communicating with those back home. But I know that I will do
anything to hear from friends. So please, if you have a skype account my user
name is nicole.warner.15 feel free to call me or drop me a video message! If
not, then I might be stalking your facebook to find out what you are up to!
How do I feel about going to France to play professional
volleyball? If nervous/excited doesn’t do it for you, then BRING IT ON will.
Haha I’m stoked to compete with some professional athletes and see what they
have got. I hope to learn a thing or two about volleyball. The language is gonna
be different—I wish my two years of high school French weren’t so far in the
past! But maybe I’ll catch on quickly and use some Rosetta Stone. That’s the
hope, at least.
Here’s to new adventures, new countries, new languages, and
a new season. Nothing like that to make you want to pinch yourself and ask if
this is real life?!
Thank you to my family, friends, and everyone else that has
been supportive of my dream to play pro volleyball! You know who you are and
you know I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment