We went in on Tuesday to the surgical center around 4:00 PM. I was starving by this point, because, as you know, you can't eat or drink the day of surgery. I was supposed to go in earlier, but the were backed up because they had so many surgeries planned (I was about #67 for the day! crazy!). I've never had surgery before, so I didn't know the plan, but lots of people were there to help. My mom was there every step of the way. I had to wait a little bit longer for pre-op stuff, but I went in around 5:30 PM.
The coolest part was when the anesthesiologist came in to tell me about how he was going to numb me and put me to sleep, I asked him where he was going to put in the nerve block. And apparently, after taking anatomy last semester, I knew enough that he was willing to let me watch while he put the block in. The block was from about C5-C8 nerve roots, right before they split into the brachial plexus. The Doc let me watch as he used the ultrasound to find my jugular, and carotid arteries, my trachea, and anterior, and middle scalene muscles. Between those two scalene are the nerve roots I mentioned. It had to be the weirdest feeling to watch on the monitor as the area around the nerves ballooned and my arm started to go numb. I felt like I needed to move it, but obviously that wasn't possible. The coolest thing was that the anesthesiologist has never let anyone do that before!
After the nerve block I don't remember a thing until I woke up in the recovery center. My mom was there with a lot of nurses. I remember I tried to sit up really fast--even though I didn't even have my eyes open. They had to tell me to calm down and wait. I am not very patient, but I knew I had no choice. Of course, my mother pulled out her camera and took a lot of pictures.
Now, here's the best part of the whole waking up process. Of course my Mom started asking me questions and here's a video of my answers... I think you'll find it very cute. Especially if your name is Jourdain Scoubes
I was so blessed to have so many people come visit me. I had my coaches and trainer come visit me at the hospital. My head coach, Shawn, came to my house right after I got home. Kiana, Kat, Cory, Shane, Boswell--thank you all for being true friends and visiting me!
Before most of my team could come over I went to them at school while they were playing in the fieldhouse. Apparently, I spoiled their idea to come surprise me. I love these girls!
But most of all I love my dear, sweet, mother. She is the best woman in the whole wide world. She was so great while taking care of me. She knows me too well, and knew when I would be grumpy, so that helped a little. But only a saint would sleep on my lumpy couch all night and get up in the middle of the night to come give me drugs and feed me. She cooked all week and cleaned too. I can't thank her enough. I love you, Mom!
Hope you are getting around ok...Glad that your Mom was able to come take care of you!
ReplyDeleteLove you Nic! I am glad you are recovering well. We miss you on our waterpolo team!!
ReplyDelete